Lumière


  Lumière: I became interested in light as a theme when I watched “A Trick of the Light” a Wim Wenders documentary about the Skladanowsky brothers, inventors of various moving image devices and projectors. The Lumière brothers later developed these ideas: this project is entitled ‘Lumière’. I had a small collection of Pianola rolls, a manuscript from the self-playing Pianola pianos, of which I had referenced in my dissertation. The small holes that allowed light through and the filmstrip qualities made me feel it was appropriate to incorporate and innovate as a fabric. I also used these papers as a way of blocking light for photogram images and in photographs, which defined many of my prints. 


Fabric panels, material combinations of black outs, transparencies and papers, for interiors:

Fabric panels, the change in the light;

The following video is film, photograms, photography and painting taken from various moving visual research stages throughout this project around the theme of light. A 'moving image mood board', Music 'Phineas' by Martin Rowe: